Thursday, May 24, 2012

Preschool graduation.

 Cupcakes just scream "celebration!" in our house.
And celebrate we did.
We broke out our vintage cake stand.
Whipped up a bunch of beauties.
Added the meticulous details so they were just so.
Did a cheers!
And we were ready.
Well, she was ready.
The last day of preschool had arrived. She rose two hours before school started. She whispered, "Mama, is it time?" She got dressed, we braided her hair, I made her lunch, and as I poured her yogurt, I felt it. A huge lump formed in my throat and surprised me. I didn't even know I was sad. I ran outside with my phone because I knew if I looked at her, I would lose it. I called Mike. No answer. I called my sister in law. I lost it. Sobs. Mike called me back. More sobbing.
I couldn't help but think a little piece of her was leaving.
But then, I focused on where she was going as she left. She was walking into a world of friends. A world of learning new things. A world of independence. And those are great places to go.
And she is pleased.
And she knows Jesus is with her wherever she may go.
So I am pleased too.
As she graduated from preschool, we celebrated.
We focused on new school traditions. New ways to carry memories from year to year.
To write our story.
Her story.
The story, so far, includes cupcakes, pictures on the porch, window writing, after school cheeseburgers, Oh! The Places You Will Go teacher signatures in her special book.
Some time together outside to welcome summer!
A few balloons!
Sun.
Family.
Our story will always evolve with each school year.
We will learn as we go.
But as we celebrate throughout this first chapter,
We will beam.
And bring flowers.
And cheer on the little girl in the stripes who fills ours lives like no other girl ever could.
Our eyes will lock onto her.
Yes, there were many, many beautiful little babies on that stage that night. But, I saw one. The one I dreamed of before I knew her. She is captivating. She is beautiful. And she is more than I deserve.
This girl is pure sunshine.
She is so, so loved.
May, 23, 2012. She walked across the stage of the preschool and scooped up her diploma.
Her family watched.
They love her so well.
And, so we celebrated.
Together.
And surrounded her with happiness.
Because she is now a KINDERGARTENER! and because she is our everything.
Regan, sweetheart, you are outdoing yourself each day. You. are. magic.

1 comment:

  1. Okay. I lost it on this one. Very emotional watching her grow up and seeing how well you hold it all together! You must make her feel so proud and amazing! Something every little girl deserves :) what a good mama.

    ReplyDelete