Monday, January 24, 2011

Fill your tank.


We were having one of those days. The house was a pit, Tyler shoved my wedding band down the drain, and we were simply off schedule. I was feeling the funk. So, instead of freaking out, I filled my tank. The minor adjustment that took place: red lipstick. Yes, in the middle of the day, at home, with kids running around like crazed animals. It's what made me feel more alive. A simple swipe of red, and I was good to go. I looked put together, and I felt like a grown up, instead of a lion tamer. We've now made it to nap time with no major mishaps!
Sometimes, the kids need their tanks filled too. When they're fussy and bored and emotionally falling apart, I know a tank is empty. So, we pack up and go. Wherever the wind takes us. Or, if Regan is starting to fall apart, I know she needs my time. A book, a quick date in the kitchen to create something yummy, or a puzzle. A simple 30 minutes shared will fill her tank for the rest of the afternoon.
We all need our tanks filled. Sometimes it doesn't seem like the responsible thing to do. Sometimes when I have a list of chores to do, I'll literally throw the list away, and take the kids to play. Or, if we are out running errands, and things just aren't going smoothly, we will instead visit the craft store for some browsing and a surprise. Because, life isn't about the lists. It's about working with a full tank. Whether it's lipstick, a Diet Coke, a trip to the park, a devotional, whatever. Make sure your tank is filled today, friends.

PS... Thanks to my friend Mindy for teaching me about tank-filling!

1 comment:

  1. You know, being a mom is the greatest thing EVER in life. My 30th birthday is LITERALLY around the corner and for some reason, I am not at all freaked out. When I stopped to think about it, I knew it was because life just doesn't get better than having a family. It is the thing you never REALLY knew how much you wanted until it was right there when you become a mom. Thank you for posting this because I want little A to know that she is always my number 1 girl. It is so easy to get bogged down with what "has" to get done that sometimes it is easy to just suck it up and do it without taking that extra time to play or be silly with the baby. I hope that I always remember this so that as she grows, she remembers me as the mom who was never afraid to take a time out and do something together rather than be a nut about the fact that the counters aren't clean.

    ReplyDelete